Flooded Lead Acid / Open Cell Batteries
At Discount Battery we sell all types of batteries. Our specialist can advise you on what kind of battery you need for any application!
Flooded Batteries or Open Cell
Flooded lead-acid batteries are the most widely used batteries both in automotive and marine applications. Lead-acid batteries are usually less expensive than either the Gel or AGM batteries, but do not provide the same cycle life and convenience. Most flooded batteries require maintenance. Electrolyte levels must be maintained above the cell’s plates. Most automotive applications/O.E.M. (Original Equipment Manufacturers) still use this type of battery as do most older vehicles.
– Lower cost
– Most charging systems in your vehicles have no problem charging these types of batteries
– Most batteries are now made with maintenance free designs
– Hundreds of different sizes
– Some have to be maintained / filled
– Can leak or spill
– All flooded batteries will gas out when charging (Gassing is hydrogen and is explosive)
– More likely to corrode terminals and surrounding areas
Charging and Maintenance
Some of these batteries have removable vent caps. Check the electrolyte level regularly and if low, add water until it is just over the plates (no higher or fluid will seep out).